Thursday, April 14, 2011

life improvements

i've been trying to work recently on things that i don't do at all or don't do much of and should. examples:
- flossing. i hate it. it's a massive pain in my ass and quite painful, but most dentists recommend it and most people tend to do it. i'm giving it a try.
- mouthwash. also a massive pain in my ass and i went about 24 years without using it and then a dentist told me that it would help with my sensitive gums. good to know. i don't do it regularly and find it ridiculous, but again, i'm giving it a try.
(yes, both of these things thus far have to do with personal hygiene. i neglect my oral (heh oral...) hygiene way too much. i brush twice a day, but i don't see a dentist regularly and i certainly don't do the above to things as much as i should...so i'm attempting to turn over a new leaf.)
- the gym. as daunting as this becomes during sports season (aka, year round for me...) i'm trying to push myself to go. i've been pretty fed up with my body for a while and while some people can just get by on reducing calories and sitting on their asses, i apparently, can't do that. i need to cut back on everything that i'm eating in addition to working out to the point of nausea (like tonight). i have a bug up my ass to make myself look better. and god help me if going to the gym obsessively doesn't get me some results. i might kill someone.
- saving money. this. is. impossible. for. me. no matter what i try, i live paycheck to paycheck, i routinely drain my saving account to a few dollars and i still have several hefty credit card bills that maybe upon retirement (at age 80) will be paid off or at least close to it. partially, i blame it on my shitty salary. i never imagined that i'd be 26, 4 years removed from a bachelors degree and be grossing 19k a year from my primary source of income. how fucking pathetic and sad is that? (also, as an aside, i think my roommate is burning something. smells like popcorn, but i can't be sure. i just smell something smoldering...)
i don't live a *plush* lifestyle. the most expensive taste i have is in beer. i have no problems shopping at target, old navy or american eagle. labels mean nothing to me (except on my michael kors wallet *SWOON*). i don't have (what i would consider) an adult job yet, so i refuse to spend money on clothing like i do. i'm not selling our clients anything, i have no meetings, no deals to be made. my boss could care less if i was in a burlap sack or a vintage chanel suit as long as my work was done.
i've TRIED desperately to budget. after rent, car insurance, cell phone bill and credit card bills, i *should* (key word, should) have a few hundred bucks left for gas and food for the month (which is plenty since i shop thriftily. is that a word? i hope so. i like it...), but instead, i'm left counting and rolling my change to take to the bank to deposit and attempting to sell my out dated and un-fashionable clothing to second hand/buy/sell/trade places (speaking of, i came out today with 19 something which is more than what i normally get when i go there). right now, i have more in my savings account than in my checking account (which isn't saying much since what's in my checking account could buy one pair of running shoes...on sale).
i want to get myself in the habit of NOT going to happy hour and dropping 50 bucks. and not buying another v neck bf tee from target just because it's 2 dollars off (you know that you do the same thing!). and putting money away to savings with the intent of saving it and not just having it there to pad the checking account when it needs it. and removing cash from the alien time machine and only being able to spend that out instead of just tossing down the plastic.

i'm really great at making plans, just not executing them. don't tell any prospective employers that. haha in reality, i'm good when it's a plan for others, just not myself. how fucked up is that?

and hand in hand with the gym and not spending as much money is:
- eating better, smarter and cheaper. eating healthy is expensive and that sucks. a lot. no wonder people go to the dollar menu for big micks instead of making a salad. speaking of, a salad would be nice right now. i only have spinach and carrots downstairs, and that, a salad does not make.
- reading more. i love books. i always have. but with this thing called the internet, came sloth and poor eyesight, which is one big deterrent to me reading for long periods of time. i'm pretty much blind and even WITH contacts or glasses, have to keep a book within a foot of my face so i can see it without squinting. i'm going to have to start going for the large print versions at age 30. my 80 year old grandmother doesn't even get the large print versions from the library. i want to set aside at least half an hour or more a day to read. i want to get back into the habit of doing it and getting away from the godforsaken computer.

this post is entirely too long. if you made it to the end, congrats. this is the war and peace of blog posts and i commend you and apologize with all my heart. now do me a favor and comment either how much you hate me for reading such a long, boring, ranty post or something entirely inspirational in regards to any of the above stated improvements. homework assignment has been dealt. enjoy.

class dismissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment